Eyelash Extensions – How to Prepare and What to Expect
Located in Raleigh, North Carolina and serving patients Nationwide
At Blue Water Spa we have a conservative approach to ensure safe and consistent long term results. After studying countless products and application methods, we have found what we believe to be the strongest medical grade adhesive available and partner that with soft, flexible eyelash extensions that deliver beautifully enhanced lashes.
Preparing For Your Eyelash Extensions
Follow these guidelines unless your Aesthetician directs otherwise.
- Remove all eye makeup and contact lenses prior to arrival.
- Be prepared to lie very still for a period of time. Talking or chewing gum will cause movement at the lash line and reduce the overall amount of lash extensions applied. Many patients bring headphones to listen to music during their appointment or enjoy a nap.
What to Expect During Your Eyelash Extension Appointment
A complimentary consultation will be performed prior to the procedure to discuss pertinent information and to assess your treatment goals. The medical aesthetician performing your eyelash extension application will ask you about the look that you want and determine a length, density, and style of lash that is best for you.
You will lie face up on a comfortable bed while your eyes are prepared with cleansing and taping of the lower lashes. The aesthetician will methodically isolate one natural lash and place one extension at a time, rhythmically working until you have a full set.
It is important that you do not open your eyes during treatment. At the end of your appointment your eye area will be cleansed again, lashes will be cured and dried, and you are ready to go.
After Your Eyelash Extension Application
- Immediately upon leaving your appointment you can shower, swim, go in the sauna, or do hot yoga.
- Use cleanLASH by NovaLash, 3-in-1 makeup remover, cleanser, & conditioner system to cleanse lashes free of makeup and other debris every night. The pads are saturated with pomegranate seed oil to moisturize and condition extensions so they remain radiant and flexible.
- Use the LASHwand by NovaLash to brush your extensions every morning and night to reduce tangling and flipping of the extensions.
- Avoid the use of cleansers and eye makeup removers that contain solvent-like ingredients such as glycols and carbonates as they can reduce the wear time of your new lashes.
- Avoid pulling, picking, or twisting lash extensions. This can cause damage to natural lashes and may lead to premature shedding of your extensions.
- Curling of NovaLash Eyelash Extensions is not recommended.
- Use only mascara by NovaLash on your lash extensions to blend in natural lashes with extensions when a touch-up appointment is needed. This water-soluble, hypoallergenic formula was developed specially for use with NovaLash Eyelash Extensions. Waterproof mascara should not be used.
- Visit your professional lash stylist for touch-ups monthly or when you notice about 50% of extensions have grown out.
If you have any concerns or questions or experience irritation of swelling,
please call our office at (919) 870-6066
Frequently Asked Questions About Eyelash Extensions
What Are Lash Extensions?
Lash Extensions at Blue Water Spa are a glamorous way to extend the length and thickness of natural eyelashes, and are a practical, convenient and beautiful alternative to the daily use of mascara. Because each tapered, synthetic lash is bonded to a single natural lash, the final result is effortless glamour that is difficult to detect, even close up.
How Long Do They Really Last?
When properly applied with the medical grade adhesive that Blue Water Spa has chosen, lash extensions can be worn throughout the year with minimal monthly maintenance. Touch-ups are recommended after the initial full set application to refill any lashes that have cycled out. To maintain the full, thick appearance of a new set of lashes follow up visits are recommended every 3-4 weeks based on your own natural lash growth cycle.
What Type of Adhesive is Used?
Blue Water Spa uses long-lasting, physician developed, medical-grade lash extension adhesive. Blue Water Spa’s lash products are all scientifically formulated, ophthalmologist tested, and glycol and carbonate-free.
Can Lash Extensions Harm Natural Lashes?
When applied properly, lash extensions will not harm natural lashes. Our application technique allows natural lashes to grow and thrive with extensions. This technique requires several different “separation” steps during the application process so each extension is adhered to a single natural lash in order to prevent interruption of the lash growth cycle. True lash extensions are single fiber artificial eyelashes with a tapered tip and blunt base. They are intended to be applied one at a time to one single natural eyelash hair. When applied properly, extensions do not have the opportunity to cause damage to the natural eyelashes. They grow, rest and shed right along with the natural eyelash to which they were applied, so there is no damage to neighboring eyelashes.
Can Mascara Be Used With Lash Extensions?
Mascara is typically not needed with lash extensions. Mascara should only be used when a touch-up is drawing near. Water-soluble mascara can be worn; however constant use of mascara may shorten the lifespan of lashes. Waterproof mascara is not recommended for use, as it will dissolve the bond with the lashes. Blue Water Spa offers a glycol and carbonate-free mascara that is specifically formulated for use on extensions without interfering with the adhesive.
Once Applied, What Is The Proper Way To Care For Lash Extensions?
Nightly conditioning is necessary to maximize the life of the extensions. Blue Water Spa offers nighttime conditioning/cleansing pads that are perfect for cleaning the lashes of any makeup or debris while moisturizing the lashes to maintain flexibility. Using a lash wand to comb the lashes free of tangles is also recommended.