Injectable Services – How to Prepare and What to Expect
Located in Raleigh, North Carolina and serving patients Nationwide
Blue Water Spa continues to be a top 1% provider of Botox Cosmetic and Juvederm in the country. Our injectable nurses have performed over 8,000 dermal filler procedures and have administered over 1.8 million units of Botox Cosmetic. All injectable philosophy at Blue Water Spa focuses on natural and conservative results leaving one looking refreshed and rejuvenated, never fake or “frozen”. All injectable procedures require a complimentary consultation to discuss aesthetic goals, provide assessment and complete medical clearance.
Preparing For Your Injectable Procedure
Follow these guidelines unless your Nurse Injector directs otherwise.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages 48 hours pre-treatment.
- Avoid taking Aspirin, Aleve, Ibuprofen, Vitamin E, fish oil, omega 3’s, ginkgo biloba, ginseng and St. John’s Wort seven days pre-treatment and 48 hours post-treatment to decrease the likelihood of bruising. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) may be taken in place of Aspirin and Ibuprofen without increased risk of bruising.
- Eat a light meal or snack before your appointment and limit beverages and caffeine immediately prior to your appointment time.
- Cardiovascular activity that increases heart rate (running, spin class) or activities where the head would be below the heart (yoga) will be restricted 24 hours post procedure. These restrictions are in place to prevent migration of the product immediately after procedure. Clients should finish their exercise before treatment.
- Skin should be intact and free from sunburn, severe acne breakouts or the herpes simplex virus (cold sores, fever blisters).
- Please Note: It is recommended that injectable procedures be scheduled at least 14 days before an event to allow healing time.
- No history of flu shot, or travel vaccines, or immunizations for two weeks prior to a filler appointment
- No history of dental work (including cleaning) done two weeks before any filler appointment and two weeks after any filler appointment.
- No active rashes or skin lesions including acne in area of treatment
- No history of active illness with antibiotics two weeks prior to filler appointment
What to Expect During Your Injectable Procedure
A complimentary consultation will be performed prior to the procedure to discuss pertinent information and provide medical clearance. Once cleared and an injectable plan has been discussed, the skin is cleansed and Thera Pearls ice packs are applied to reduce discomfort.
Botox treatments are administered with an insulin syringe (a very small needle) and dermal filler procedures are performed with a micro cannula used to minimize discomfort. Due to the advanced technique of our nurse injectors they are skilled at meticulous placement and provide the least amount of product necessary to achieve optimal results.
A complete Botox® treatment lasts just one to three minutes (depending on the number of areas being treated) and does not require the use of topical or local anesthetics. Botox® begins to show its effect after 5-7 days, although some patients report a noticeable difference the very next day.
The dermal filler used are only gel molecules that include lidocaine powder to ensure clients remain comfortable and have a positive experience.
After Your Injectable Procedure
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages 48 hours post-treatment.
- If you experience bruising or swelling, you may use ice or a cold pack for ten minutes every hour for 3-5 hours.
- Do not rub or massage the injected areas or lie down for four hours after injection as you may cause the product to migrate.
- Do not have facials, chemical peels or microdermabrasion for at least five days after injection.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for the remainder of the day of injection.
- Do not have facial laser treatments for at least 72 hours before or after injection.
- We are conservative with your initial treatment. If you do not see the desired effect after seven days, feel free to schedule a follow-up appointment during which you may discuss your results with your injector and have additional treatment if you desire.
- Many patients have minimal discomfort following the procedure, however you may experience one or more of the following: bruising, swelling, pink at the site of injection, tenderness to the touch, discomfort in the treated area, lumps or asymmetries. It is not uncommon to experience any of these symptoms after the soft tissue swelling process is complete (7-14 days). You may call our office if these conditions persist beyond two weeks or worsen over time.
- Dermal fillers add volume to soft tissue showing results instantly with the addition of temporary soft tissue swelling or bruising, Botox cosmetic works with muscle contraction at the muscle-nerve junction and takes several days to see the results of the treated wrinkles. It is advised to follow up 14 days after your procedure to determine if more product is needed. Our philosophy consists of a “less is more” approach and Botox and dermal filler can always be added versus taken away.
- In rare cases clients have discussed bruising to be beyond minimal, in these cases Arnica Montana can be purchased at cost at our checkout.
- Botox and Juvederm is intended to minimize wrinkles and to soften and lift the face, it is not a replacement for surgery and will always be performed to provide natural and conservative results, realistic expectation and goals are discussed during consultation.
If you have any concerns or questions, please call our office at (919) 870-6066
Frequently Asked Questions About Injectable Procedures
How can I get the best results from injectables?
At Blue Water Spa our philosophy embraces the art of looking natural and rejuvenated. We are firm believer that it’s not the product as much as it is the provider. Our nurses have advanced training from Dr. Michael Law in the art of fat grafting (over 500+ hours) that allow them to appreciate the dimensions of anatomy. To date our nurses have injected over 1.8 million units of Botox and over 8,000 dermal filler procedures. Getting the best results from injectables starts with a complimentary consultation where our expert nurses can provide recommendations based on one’s individual unique anatomy. Every face is not created the same and what may work for one client may not the other, that’s why it’s important to see an advanced injector with a skilled hand and a trained eye.
How many sessions are required with injectables?
Botox cosmetic typically lasts for 3-4 months depending on anatomy and muscle strength. There is a cumulative effect to Botox injection where subsequent injections atrophy the muscles responsible for wrinkles that often will require less Botox or longer durations. Dermal fillers last anywhere from 12 to 24 months depending on the product used.