Safe and Effective Laser Hair Removal for all skin tones in Raleigh – How to Prepare and What to Expect
Blue Water Spa Serving the Raleigh, Durham, Brier Creek, Clayton, Louisburg, Greensboro, Youngsville, and the entire Research Triangle Park areas.
Welcome to Blue Water Spa, the leading laser hair removal provider in The Triangle! Blue Water Spa is proudly owned by a physician, not a franchise. This requires Blue Water Spa to adhere to the safety, cleanliness and truth in advertising guidelines outlined by the NC Medical Board and The American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Michael Law, is onsite and directly oversees laser treatments.
Preparing For Your Laser Hair Removal Treatment
Prior to your first laser hair removal appointment, you will be required to have a complimentary medical consultation with one of our Nurse Practitioners to ensure that treatments will be safe and effective. In advance of your laser treatments, there are a few things you need to keep in mind to make sure that you are ready for your appointment. If you have any questions about any of our procedures, please contact our office prior to your consultation or appointment.
Follow these guidelines unless your laser technician directs otherwise:
- Do not use any topical products that cause photosensitivity (e.g. hydroxy acids, salicylic acid, retinols, and benzoyl peroxide) in the treatment areas for three days before treatment. Use a gentle cleanser and lotion on treated areas.
- Avoid sun exposure to the treatment area, and do not use UV tanning beds at all for two weeks before treatment. Be sure to use a recommended broad-spectrum mineral sunblock with an SPF of 30 or above on a daily basis (rain or shine).
- Follow instructions regarding all oral prescription medications that we provided at your medical laser consultation. If you are taking any new or different medications, including antibiotics, contact our office prior to your appointment.
- Do not have Botox injections, dermal filler injections, chemical peels or microdermabrasion in the treatment area for at least 14 days before laser hair removal.
- We ask that you are freshly showered or bathed with completely clean skin, without lotions, oils, creams or fragrances of any kind before coming in.
- Any treatment areas should be shaved completely prior to treatment. Legs should be shaved around 24 hours prior to your appointment to avoid irritation. Do not wax, tweeze, epilate or use chemical depilatories for two weeks before treatment, or at all in between laser treatments. Since the laser targets the root of the hair, it must be present for the treatment to be effective. Shaving is the only form of hair removal recommended during the course of your treatments.
Can I Shave or Wax Before My Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
Yes, this is encouraged! The treatment area should be shaved completely prior to treatment. Legs should be shaved around 24 hours prior to your appointment to avoid irritation. Do not wax, tweeze, epilate or use chemical depilatories between laser treatments. Since the laser targets the root of the hair, it must be present for the treatment to be effective. Shaving is the only form of hair removal recommended during the course of your treatments. A charge of $75 or more will be added if the laser tech shaves the treatment area.
What to Expect During Your Laser Hair Removal Appointment
Following the laser hair removal consultation, if we determine you are a good candidate, we will proceed with treatment. Your laser technician will begin by asking a few pertinent questions about your recent health history to ensure there are no contraindications for treatment. The technician will discuss your treatment desires and at that time you can specifically let us know what hair you want removed. We can even offer you a one-time use white pencil so you can draw where you would like the laser hair removal to start and end. The treatment area will be cleansed and prepared for treatment. Your technician will talk you through each step of the treatment to ensure you won’t experience any surprises.
While receiving laser hair removal at Blue Water Spa, you will be required to wear protective eyewear. You may still be able to see a flash of light, but your eyes will be completely covered. The laser technicians wear protective eyewear, as well. During the treatment, all areas of the body that will not be lasered will be covered with clothing. Only the areas to receive laser treatment will be exposed. We are always mindful of your comfort and your peace of mind; we will let you know ahead of time what to expect.
After Your Laser Hair Removal Treatment
It is normal to experience redness and swelling in the treatment area following laser hair removal. This may persist for several days. The treated area may feel like a razor burn or sunburn for a few hours after treatment. Over-the-counter hydrocortisone or aloe vera may be used to alleviate redness and irritation.
Hair in the treated area will slowly shed, typically over the course of two weeks. Patchiness of hair growth is normal, and will dissipate towards the completion of your laser hair removal treatment series.
Improper post-treatment care, including excessive heat or sun exposure of the treated area, may increase the chance of scarring, pigmentation changes and skin texture changes.
- It is imperative that you avoid excessive heat in the treatment area, such as hot tubs, saunas or working out for 24 hours after laser hair removal treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure to the treatment area, and do not use UV tanning beds at all for two weeks after treatment. Use a broad-spectrum sunblock with an SPF of 30 or above on a daily basis (rain or shine).
- Do not use any topical products that cause photosensitivity (e.g. hydroxy acids, salicylic acid, retinols, and benzoyl peroxide) in the treatment areas for three days after treatment. Use a gentle cleanser and lotion on treated areas.
- Follow instructions regarding all oral medications that we provided at your medical laser consultation.
- Do not have Botox injections, dermal filler injections, chemical peels or microdermabrasion in the treatment area for at least 14 days after laser hair removal.
Treatments should be scheduled as follows:
Facial Areas: Every 4-6 weeks
Trunk Areas: Every 6-8 weeks
Leg Areas: Every 8-10 weeks
If you have any concerns or questions, please call our office at (919) 870-6066.
Frequently Asked Questions About Laser Hair Removal
What areas of the face or body cannot be treated with a laser?
None. All areas of the face or body can be treated with the laser that is suited for your skin type.
Is laser hair removal painful?
While everyone’s pain tolerance is different, the majority of clients do not think it is painful. Our patients report that treatment with our lasers is much more comfortable than other lasers and far more comfortable than waxing. Our lasers are equipped with a DCD (Dynamic Cooling Device) that makes the treatment both comfortable and safer to the skin than other lasers. Because the lasers we use have a very large (18mm) spot size, treatments are very quick. Any discomfort one experiences is over very quickly.
How many laser hair removal treatments will I need?
The number of treatments necessary varies per individual, on average 5-8 treatments, although because of numerous variables this medical treatment cannot be guaranteed. Multiple treatments performed at 4 to 10 week intervals are necessary in order to obtain the best result. Irregular treatment schedules and prolonged intervals between treatments may reduce the efficacy of laser hair removal.
Is laser hair removal permanent?
Laser hair removal at Blue Water Spa is FDA-cleared to permanently reduce hair anywhere on the face or body where smooth skin is desired. Some hair follicles are stimulated only by changes in hormone levels. Laser hair removal treatments do not prevent new hair growth in those follicles. Patients may experience hair regrowth from various hormone related causes, such as pregnancy or hormone changes related to aging.
Have you been considering Laser Hair Removal in Raleigh? Learn if laser hair removal is right for you by viewing our Laser Hair Removal Frequently Asked Questions.
ABOUT BLUE WATER SPA
Blue Water Spa is a Raleigh spa that has been voted Best Medical Spa in America three consecutive years. Owned and operated by Raleigh Plastic Surgeon Michael Law MD , the Raleigh medical spa is the top provider of Juvederm®, Latisse® and Botox® in Raleigh, NC. From CoolSculpting, Emsculpt, Laser Hair removal, laser skin tightening to microdermabrasion, pampering spa packages, and medical-grade clean & cruelty-free skincare, at Blue Water Spa you will receive the ultimate in results and relaxation.
Text Blue Water Spa to schedule your Botox consultation: 919-769-6044.