Laser Pigmentation Removal – How to Prepare and What to Expect
Serving the Raleigh, Durham, RDU, Brier Creek, RTP, Clayton, Louisburg, Morrisville, Youngsville, Wakefield, and the entire Research Triangle Park areas.
Preparing For Your Laser Pigmentation Removal Treatment
At Blue Water Spa, laser pigmentation removal in Raleigh is safe and effective and can treat many areas of pigmentation. Postpartum pigmentation removal is commonly treated with lasers, as many women experience postpartum dark patches that do not fade as much as expected. Many patients also treat melasma, manchas, and excessive dark spots with laser pigmentation removal.
Follow these guidelines unless your laser technician directs otherwise.
- We ask that you are freshly showered or bathed with completely clean skin, without lotions, oils, creams or fragrances of any kind before coming in. If there is excessive hair in the treatment area, we recommend shaving the area prior to treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure to the treatment area, and do not use UV tanning beds at all for four weeks before treatment. The use of self-tanning skin care products must be discontinued 2 weeks prior to treatment, and any residual self-tanner must be removed in order to perform the treatment.
- We offer a prescription numbing product for patients who are looking to alleviate any discomfort.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunblock with an SPF of 30 or above on a daily basis (rain or shine). Shop our favorite BWS sunscreen products that are cruelty-free, Leaping Bunny Certified and help protect our oceans by being Reef-Friendly, which means our products do not contain harmful chemicals that disrupt our coral reef habitat.
- Do not use any topical products that cause photosensitivity (e.g. hydroxy acids, salicylic acid, retinols, and benzoyl peroxide) in the treatment areas for three days before treatment. Use a gentle cleanser and lotion on treated areas.
- Follow instructions regarding all oral prescription medications that we provided at your medical laser consultation. If you are taking any new or different medications, including antibiotics, contact our office prior to your appointment.
- If you have received any medical spa services in the treatment area, such as Botox, Dysport, dermal fillers, laser or spa services, please contact our office to ensure that treatment may still be performed.
What to Expect During Your Laser Pigmentation Removal Appointment
Following your laser pigmentation removal consultation, if we determine you are a good candidate, we will proceed with treatment. Postpartum pigmentation, manchas, excessive dark spots on the neck, melasma and dark patches are all reasons for great candidates to successfully receive laser pigmentation removal.
At your first treatment your laser technician will begin by asking a few pertinent questions about your recent health history to ensure there are no contraindications for treatment. The technician will discuss your treatment desires and at that time you can specifically let us know what pigmentation you would like to treat. The treatment area will be cleansed and prepared for treatment. Your technician will talk you through the treatment to ensure you won’t experience any surprises.
What is Exposed During My Laser Treatment
While receiving laser pigmentation removal, you will be required to wear protective eyewear. You may still be able to see a flash of light, but your eyes will be completely covered. The laser technicians wear protective eyewear, as well. During the treatment, all areas of the body that will not be lasered will be covered with clothing. Only the areas to receive laser treatment will be exposed. We are always mindful of your comfort and your peace of mind; we will let you know ahead of time what to expect.
How Long Does Laser Pigmentation Removal Take
The treatment can be performed in as little as 15 minutes, depending on the treatment area. Most patients experience little discomfort while receiving this laser treatment. Following treatment patients generally experience redness, mild swelling and/or tenderness in the treatment area that will resolve in a quick manner. The post treatment area response will vary from patient to patient depending on the extent of treatment.
After Your Laser Pigmentation Removal Treatment
- Erythema (redness), edema (swelling), scabbing, flaking, irritation or blistering in the treatment area will most likely occur. This may persist for several days. A white-gray discoloration of the treatment area may appear immediately following treatment and last for a few minutes to a few days.
- Your pigmentation may darken, lighten, fade or even appear to have no change immediately post treatment. Laser pigmentation removal works by eliminating pigment in the surface of the skin through the body’s lymphatic system. On average, it takes 4-6 weeks for your body to process the pigment. Multiple treatments may be necessary to achieve the desired results.
- Discomfort may be relieved by taking an over the counter pain reliever or by using ice packs or cool compresses in 20-30 minute intervals.
- Avoid sun exposure to the treatment area throughout the course of your laser treatments. If sun exposure is necessary, keep the treatment area covered with a non-adherent bandage. Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight, and do not use UV tanning beds at all for four weeks after treatment.
- Once per day use a gentle soap to cleanse the treatment area and pat dry. To keep the treatment area moist, apply Post Laser Gel or hydrocortisone twice per day for 7-10 days post treatment, or until the treatment area is healed.
- If scabbing occurs, it is very important not to pick, shave, rub, scratch or aggressively wash the area to prevent possible scarring. If blistering occurs, do not drain blisters. Allow them to dry and heal on their own. Care should be taken to prevent trauma to the treated area for the first 7-10 days following treatment.
- Physical exercise (aerobics, sport activities) should be discontinued for 1 to 2 days. Rough physical activities (playing football) should be discontinued for 10 days post treatment.
- Return in 4-6 weeks for assessment.
If you have any concerns or questions, please call our office at (919) 870-6066.
Frequently Asked Questions About Laser Pigmentation Removal
Can All Pigmentation Be Treated?
We can safely treat any benign hyperpigmentation, including freckles, sun spots, age spots, and caf au lait birthmarks.
Will Laser Pigmentation Removal Work for My Skin Type?
At Blue Water Spa, we use two lasers specific to skin types to ensure each patient receives the best treatment.
During your laser pigmentation removal consultation, both your pigmentation and skin type will be determined by your laser technician to determine which laser and treatment duration would be best for both your type of pigmentation, as well as your unique skin type. Our extensively trained laser technicians understand that each patient and their skin type requires individualized care and attention to receive the best results for their specific treatment.
PicoWay treatments selectively treat hyperpigmentation while leaving surrounding skin undamaged. Picosecond technology has ultra-short pulse durations, 100 times shorter than Q-switch lasers, and in the trillionths of a second. These bursts of energy create a photoacoustic impact which breaks up the pigmentation into smaller, more easily absorbed particles. PicoWay’s unique, proprietary mode of action has the highest peak power and the shortest pulse duration of any picosecond device on the market for superior efficacy, safety and comfort.
Alternatively used at Blue Water Spa, is the Candela laser for laser pigmentation removal. Both lasers perform at various frequencies.
Using the Picoway Laser for Laser Tattoo Removal
Does Laser Pigmentation Removal Hurt?
The degree of discomfort varies with each person depending on the depth of the pigmentation, the location on the body and the type of pigmentation being removed. Patients have the option to request prescription numbing cream if they feel the need to alleviate some of the discomfort from the procedure. Cooling packs are always provided to enhance comfort.
How much does Laser Pigmentation Removal Cost?
The good news is at Blue Water Spa, we don’t do gimmicky packages. You pay per session, pay-as-you-go. All of our treatments are priced per session. Each individual will respond differently to treatment- some may require more treatments while others require less treatments. Clients come back because they have great results. Not because they have a binding long term contract.
How Many Treatments Will I Need?
The number of treatments will depend on how large the pigmentation is, what type of pigmentation is being treated, and the depth of the pigmentation. Some pigmented lesions will require several treatments for optimal results, however, some can be resolved in a single treatment.
How Often Can Treatments Be Performed?
The frequency of your pigmentation removal appointments will be based on clinical judgment. During your complimentary consultation, a customized treatment plan will be developed to determine the recommended number of treatments and the intervals at which they should be performed. For most patients this ranges between 4-6 weeks.
Can I Remove Hyperpigmentation Without Laser Treatment?
At Blue Water Spa, we offer alternatives to treat hyperpigmentation, manchas, and pregnancy mask without laser treatment. Our medical grade skincare consultations with a Blue Water Spa aesthetician can help determine a specific treatment plan and at-home skincare regimen to help hyperpigmentation and improve texture of the skin. Shop Blue Water Spa’s medical grade skincare for pigmentation improvement. Schedule a complimentary skincare consultation before getting started to ensure you are using the right skincare products for your skin. A short virtual consultation can work, if you are unable to make it to the spa in person.
Many patients interested in laser pigmentation removal also benefit from Peels at Blue Water Spa. In addition, treatments like microneedling in Raleigh can help stimulate collagen production and improve the texture and appearance of the skin as a follow up to laser treatments. Please text us at 919-739-3910 and we can develop a customized pigmentation removal journey for you.
About Laser Treatments at Blue Water Spa
Blue Water Spa is a Raleigh spa that has been voted Best Medical Spa in America three consecutive years. Owned and operated by Raleigh Plastic Surgeon Michael Law MD, the Raleigh medical spa is the top provider of Juvederm®, Latisse® and Botox® in Raleigh, NC. From CoolSculpting, Emsella, Emsculpt, Laser Hair removal, laser skin tightening to microdermabrasion, pampering spa packages, and medical-grade clean & cruelty-free skincare, at Blue Water Spa you will receive the ultimate in results and relaxation.
Text Blue Water Spa to schedule your Laser consultation: 919-739-3910.