Skin Care Treatment – How to Prepare and What to Expect
Located in Raleigh, North Carolina and serving patients Nationwide
Blue Water Spa offers a variety of the safest and most effective medical-grade products and skin care services available. Based on your skin assessment and your home care routine, your aesthetician will recommend treatments and products that are most beneficial to your skin. Your skin care requirements may change as skin issues are resolved and your focus transitions from repair to maintenance. At Blue Water Spa we have a conservative approach to ensure safe and consistent long term results.
Preparing For Your Service
Please plan to arrive 10 minutes prior to your appointment time to ensure a prompt start to your treatment. Arriving late may results in a cancellation or reduced treatment time.
- Facials: Facials are a great option for patients who have had sun exposure or are pregnant or nursing as no contraindications or pretreatment product restrictions are required.
- Chemical Peel/Microdermabrasion: Avoid sun exposure or waxing of the treatment area for 5 days prior to your treatment. Do not use any topical prescription products that cause sensitivity (e.g. hydroxy acids, salicylic acid, retinols, and benzoyl peroxide) on treated areas for 5 days before treatment. Do not have any facial laser treatments for at least 14 days before treatment.
- Microneedling: Avoid blood thinners (fish oils/aspirin) for 5 days prior to treatment. Avoid sun exposure or UV tanning beds for 24 hours prior to treatment. Do not use any topical prescription products that cause sensitivity (e.g. hydroxy acids, salicylic acid, retinols, and benzoyl peroxide) in the treatment areas for 12 hours prior to treatment.
What to Expect During Your Skin Care Treatment
Your aesthetician will begin by asking a few pertinent questions about your recent health history to ensure there are no contraindications for treatment. The aesthetician will discuss your skin care routine and treatment desires and at that time you can communicate your concerns and treatment goals.
- Facials/Microdermabrasion/Chemical Peels: All of these services are tailored to each client’s individual skin care needs and include thorough cleansing, pore congestion extractions, mask, face and/or shoulder massage, and specialty products. Our heated bed, ambient music and lighting, and modesty wraps help you relax while our medical aesthetician takes care of you. The method of exfoliation distinguishes these treatments and your aesthetician can help you choose which method is best for you.
- Microneedling: After your initial treatment, a numbing cream is prescribed and you will apply it to clean skin 30 minutes prior to your appointment. Your aesthetician will cleanse and prep your skin with a surgical grade disinfectant and perform the treatment at a level that you are comfortable with. You may feel a prickling sensation or nothing at all. Additional soothing measures are taken to cool the skin and reduce irritation. LED is performed to stimulate the healing response. Carefully chosen post procedure products are applied to protect and hydrate the skin without sting or irritation.
- Express Services: Blue Water Spa Express services are a wonderful way to efficiently receive professional care for your skin without any of the frills. Most of these services are performed in less than 30 minutes and highlight the essential elements of the treatment to deliver visible results. Our express services do not include extractions, masks, massage or disrobing unless indicated. For those desiring a more relaxing spa service, we recommend one of our more pampering services such as Signature Facial, Lymphatic Lift, Advanced Anti-Aging, Microderm-A-Bliss or Peel-A-Bliss.
After Your Skin Care Treatment
Contact our office if any side effects persist beyond two weeks or worsen over time.
- Facials: After your facial, you can apply makeup and resume normal activities immediately. You may be a little flushed post treatment, however, redness will typically subside within 1-2 hours. Use a broad-spectrum sunblock with an SPF of 30 or above on a daily basis (rain or shine).
- Chemical Peel/Microdermabrasion: Skin may be red and feel mildly irritated. Mineral makeup is safe to apply immediately after treatment. Peeling/flaking may occur 2-5 days post treatment and should be mild. Do not pick at peeling skin. Keep skin hydrated with recommended moisturizer. Following microdermabrasion/chemical peel, on rare occasions one may experience vision disturbances, mild erythema (redness), mild edema (swelling), mild scabbing, or herpes (cold sore) outbreak if one carries the virus. Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight and do not use UV tanning beds for 2 weeks after treatment. Do not have any facial laser treatments for at least 14 days after treatment. Exercise is acceptable for most patients, however, heat and perspiration may feel uncomfortable on sensitive skin. Discontinue topical retinol/AHA/BHA use for 5 days post procedure. Use a broad-spectrum sunblock with an SPF of 30 or above on a daily basis (rain or shine).
- Microneedling: Skin may be red, tight, itchy, swollen, irritated, peeling, and uncomfortable. These effects are similar to a sunburn and usually resolve within the first 1-3 days but may persist longer. Mineral makeup can be worn 1 day after treatment. Dryness is typically experienced for 5-7 days. Keep skin hydrated with recommended moisturizer. Avoid extreme heat. Skin may feel irritated with exercise and perspiration. Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight and do not use UV tanning beds for 2 weeks pre and post treatment. Use a broad-spectrum sunblock with an SPF of 30 or above on a daily basis (rain or shine).
If you have any concerns or questions, please call our office at (919) 870-6066
Frequently Asked Questions About Skin Care Services
How can I get the best results from my treatment?
Skin care treatments are often most effective when performed as a series; consult with your aesthetician to determine the appropriate time for your next treatment. The most effective way to protect your investment is to consistently utilize sunscreen. After chemical peels, microdermabrasion and Microneedling treatments especially, the skin is more sensitive to sun exposure and an SPF 30 or higher is required. Sunscreen should be worn daily, regardless of your skin color or whether you are spending a majority of your day indoors.
How many sessions are required to see results?
While some people may see a significant change after one treatment, many clients require a series of treatments to correct their areas of concern, and regular services for maintenance. Home care products will play a major role in the condition of your skin and amplify results of each service.